Pages

Saturday, May 13, 2017

Watercolor Background with Ink Smooshing

Hi Everybody,

I made a quick card yesterday with the intent of putting it into a challenge using 6 things on the card and then I realized I used the wrong company's stamps.  I really like how it turned out.  I think what I did to the background is called ink smooshing.  I saw it done a couple years ago in a Kristina Werner video and thought it was cool.  Kristina took a piece of acetate and dabbed it in her spritzed ink and then dabbed it on her watercolor paper where she wanted it to go.  I just let mine run wild :)







I wanted the background to have some yellow, green and light blue in it.  I really meant it to have more green and blue and just a touch of yellow but when you're working with watercolor, sometimes it doesn't work out exactly like you planned but that's the cool thing about watercolor.

You can either use a large acrylic block or your craft mat and put down different colors of distress inks however you want, put one color in a few places, the next color in a few places but don't let them touch when you put the colors down.  You can either spritz the inks and then put your watercolor paper down on it working the inks in or in my case, I put them on a block, laid the watercolor paper down on the inks and if I felt I needed a little more of a color I inked the block and put the paper down in the area I needed more color and then I spritzed the watercolor paper and just let it run down the paper however it wanted and when I got color all over, I used a heat gun to dry it.

I used Tim Holtz Twisted Citron, Fossilized Amber and Tumbled Glass ink colors.  I wanted there to be more Tumbled Glass but it didn't happen that way but I still think it turned out really pretty.

I used Altenew's Botanical Gardens stamp set and masked the flower to add the butterfly on top and then heat embossed the flower, butterfly and sentiment with Stampendous Fine Detail Gold Embossing Powder.

I took the plunge and added some little black paint droplets.  I think it added a little something something to it.  I used my Tim Holtz Splatter Tool finally to do this.  I finished it off with some gold sequins.  The sentiments on the front and inside are from Casual Friday Stamps, Pretty Posies.

So if you don't have a lot of time, don't have time to color, this is a great way to have a fun background and have your stamped images colored in as well.

Thanks for stopping by and have a great day!


Regina

2 comments:

Karen (TLgirl353) said...

Such a very sunny card to share this morning. It's lovely!

Verna Angerhofer said...

It's a gorgeous card. I love the gold embossing over the beautiful background.